Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Another Earth

Movie:  Another Earth
Drink:  Pina Colada, and something yet un-named




     "Let me mix you a drink," my pal said.  Now, I am not a drink snob, having guzzled my share of Four Loco or slurped spilled champagne off of the table top.  But this brown, pungent glass of liquid with bubbles struggling to break its bleak surface made me pause.  It was bad.  It was vanilla Coke and Gordon's gin.  When my ears and lips ceased smoking, the pal said he would fix it by adding triple sec and if by "fixing" it he meant creating the world's first drinkable Vick's Vapo-rub, then by Jove , he did it!
     Now, I usually would have been sneaking some sort of spirits in to some sort of movie theater, but unless I want to see an animated Christmas flop (let's face it, after Nightmare Before Christmas, why does anyone even try?) or watch some Aeropostale vampire sink more than just his fangs into his lady friend, I'm forced to watch movies at home.
     Another Earth was,well, depressing.  I should have been watching it alone on a pleasantly moody rainy weekend afternoon instead  of an actually depressing Tuesday evening running on 3 hours sleep.  It had some beautiful footage, and some interesting concepts.  I admit that I was distracted by my fish sticks burning in the oven and the huge pina colada freezing my brain.
    I often wonder how movies like the recent remake of Conan the Barbarian ever make it into production, and now I know.  Sometimes you just aren't ready for a dose of beauty and thought.  Instead of a perfectly steamed cappuccino with hearts drawn in the foam, you want a gallon travel mug of Folgers, heavy on the coffee mate.
    I plan on getting in the right frame of mind, watch the Weather Channel for rain, and rent this movie again to give it a fair shot.  Until then, you'll have to excuse me, The Hangover 2 is on, and my fish sticks are done.

No comments:

Post a Comment